ABCIXIMAB – Drug Information
Generic Name : Abciximab
Therapeutic Classification: Anticoagulants / Antithrombotics
Abciximab prevent blood clotting. It is a potent Antipletelet Agent.
Mechanism of Action:
Abciximab is a Fab fragment of a humanized monoclonal antibody directed against the glycoprotein IIb/IIIa. It prevent blood clotting by interfering with clumping of platelets, abciximab is a potent antiplatelet agent.
It is administered by parental route.
- Half-life: 30 min
- Onset: 10 min (<20% of baseline)
- Duration: 72 hr
- Metabolism: Through proteolytic cleavage
- Platelet binding: Remains bound for 15 days
Contraindication for Abciximab:
- Active bleeding
- Recent bleeding due to surgery, bleeding from the digestive tract or from other sites, stroke due to a bleed
- Increased risk for bleeding due to bleeding/clotting disorders, very high blood pressure, brain tumor, etc.
- Allergic reaction
- Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no appropriate studies in pregnant women, but potential benefits may allow the use of the drug in pregnant women despite the potential for risks.
Dosage & Indication:
- Before procedures on the heart like angioplasty. It is given in a dose of 0.25 mg/kg into the vein 10-60 minutes before the procedure, followed by an infusion of 0.125 µg/kg/min up to a maximum of 10 µg/min for 12 hours.
- Used in the treatment of heart attack, stroke due to a blood clot.
- It is used to lower the number of heart attacks in patients who have unstable angina or mild heart attacks.
Warnings and Precautions for Abciximab:
- Bleeding, clotting times, and platelet counts, should be monitored before and during treatment.
- It may cause excess bleeding when administered with other drug e.g. aspirin, warfarin, t-PA (tissue plasminogen activator) which is used to break clots.
Adverse Reactions / Side Effects of Abiximab:
- Back pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Chest discomfort.
Store at 2 to 8°C. Discard any unused portion left in the vial.
Trade Names / Brand Names:
I Reopro I
I Reopro I