ACEBROPHYLLINE – Drug Information
Generic Name: Acebrophylline
Therapeutic Classification: Anti- Asthmatics/Bronchodilator
Acebrophylline is a xanthine derivative, prescribed as a bronchodilator for the treatment of bronchial asthma and COPD in adults.
Mechanism of Action:
It act by inhibiting intracellular phosphodiesterase associated with cAMP levels and facilitates bronchial muscles relaxation. Acebrophylline selectively inhibits phosphatidylcholine and phospholipase A, TNF-alpha and leukotrienes. Inhibition of such pro-inflammatory mediators can significantly reduce the airway inflammation and obstruction in chronic stages.
After oral administration, the drug is rapidly absorbed in the stomach and Cmax can be reached within two hours. The plasma half-life of the drug varies from 4-9 hours. The drug is primarily metabolized in the liver and eliminated through the urine.
Contraindication for Acebrophylline:
- Allergy to xanthine derivatives and ambroxol
- Low blood pressure or heartattack or abnormal heart rhythms
- Liver or kidney impairment
Warnings & Precautions for Acebrophylline:
- Caution use in patients with hyperthyroidism, that is, high thyroid hormone levels since it can cause cardiac side effects
- Caution use with the peoples who have history of the Epilepsy.
- Use with caution in children.
- Special precautions should be observed in peoples who suffering from seizures, cardiac insufficiency and gastro-intestinal disorders.
Adverse Reactions / Side Effects of Acebrophylline:
- Central Nervous System: Mild Headache, Drowsiness
- Respiratory: Difficulty in Breathing
- Gastro-intestinal: Nausea, Vomiting,Diarrhea, Constipation, Abdominal Discomfort, Esophageal Bleeding, Loss of Appetite.
- Skin: Rashes & Itching
- Miscellaneous: Fever with Chills, Changes in Blood Pressure, Elevated white blood cell count.
Dosage for Acebrophylline:
- The recommended dosage for adults in treating COPD and bronchial asthma is 100 mg twice daily.
- Child dosage of acebrophylline syrup (50mg/5ml)
- Below 2 years of age: 2.5 ml twice daily
- 2 – 5 years of age : 2.5 ml three times daily
- Above 5 years : 5 ml twice daily or as directed by the physician
- This drug should be taken orally with food to avoid gastric discomfort.
Other Drug Interaction with Acebrophylline:
This medicine should not be prescribed concomitantly with lincomycin, clindamycin, erythromycin, allopurinol, barbiturates, quinolone derivatives, oxytetracycline, cimetidine, furosemide, anticoagulants, oligomycin, phenytoin and reserpine.
Store in Room Temperature & Keep away from Moisture.
Brand Name / Trade Name:
Available in India:
A-PHYL | ASCOVENT | ACELAST | ABROFYL | AB PHYLLINE SR | RESPIRA ACE | MACPHYLLIN | ASTHACE SR | ASMAACE | CEBOFYL | ACEBROFACT | BROPHYLE | ACIBRO | ASCOVENT | AB-FLO | ACEBROBID | ACEBROLN | ACEDRIL | MACPHYLLIN | VENTIBRO | ACIBRO | AB PHYLLINE | MUCOPHYLINE | EROPHYLIN | BAYACE |OYLLINE