Adalimumab – Drug Information
Generic Name : Adalimumab
Therapeutic Classification : Antirheumatics
Adalimumab belongs to a class of drugs called tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blockers. It is a prescription drug. It isn’t available as a generic drug. It only comes as the trade-name drug Humira. This medication is a tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF alpha) inhibitor, prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis, crohn’s disease (digestive tract inflammation), psoriatic arthritis, ulcerative colitis, plaque psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis, and juvenile idiopathic arthritis (joint inflammation in children). In rheumatoid arthritis, Adalimumab has a response rate similar to Methotrexate, and in combination, it nearly doubles the response rate of methotrexate alone.
Mechanism of Action :
It is a human monoclonal antibody against TNF-alpha. It binds to TNF-alpha and blocks its interaction with the p55 and p75 cell surface TNF receptors. Adalimumab also lyses surface TNF expressing cells in vitro in the presence of complement and modulates biologic responses responsible for leukocyte migration.
Volume of distribution: 4.7-6 L
Most likely removed by opsonization via the reticuloendothelial system
Half-life: 10-20 days
Total body clearance: 12 mL/hr
Side Effects and Adverse Reaction of Adalimumab (Humira) :
The more common side effects of adalimumab can include:
- Headaches, nausea, vomiting
- Redness, rash, swelling, itching
- Bruising at the site on your skin where you receive the injection
- Upper respiratory infections, such as the common cold
Serious Adverse Reactions :
Infections include tuberculosis (TB) and infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body, liver failure, blood clot in the lung, cerebrovascular accident, and cancer.
- Respiratory : Upper respiratory tract infection, asthma, sinusitis and flu syndrome, difficulty in breathing.
- Gastrointestinal : Feeling full, loss of appetite, pain in you’re the upper stomach.
- Skin : Redness, rash, itching, bruising.
- Central Nervous System : Dizziness, confusion and tremor.
- Heart : Cardiovascular disorder, chest pain and heart attack.
- Eye : Vision problems.
- Miscellaneous : Back pain, weight loss, tiredness, urinary tract infection and high blood pressure.
Pregnancy Category :
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no appropriate studies in pregnant women, but potential benefits may allow the use of the drug in pregnant women despite the potential for risks.
Warnings and Precautions for Adalimumab (Humira) :
- Caution should be strictly followed in patients with cancer, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- This medication used with caution in patients older than 65 years, may be at greater risk.
- Vaccination should be avoided while taking this medication.
- Perform tuberculosis test before treatment and monitor every patient for active tuberculosis while taking this medication.
- Don’t take this drug again if you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to it. Taking it again could be fatal (cause death).
- This drug may develop cancer in some patients like lymphoma.
- This medication may cause serious infection, which leads to death, contact your healthcare provider immediately if you have any signs of infection such as fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms.
Other Drug Interactions :
Adalimumab injectable can interact with other medications, vitamins, or herbs you may be taking.
Do not take these drugs with adalimumab thus can cause dangerous effects in your body. Live vaccines, such as varicella (chickenpox) and measles, mumps, rubella vaccine. Don’t receive a live vaccine while taking this drug.
Disclaimer: This information not includes all possible interactions and this information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always speak with your Doctor or Pharmacist about possible interactions with all prescription Drugs, Herbs, Vitamins and Supplements, and over-the-counter drugs that you are taking.
Storage Conditions of Adalimumab (Humira) :
Refrigerate at 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) in an airtight container. Do not freeze and Protect from light. Do not use if frozen even if it has been thawed.
Trade Name / Brand Name :
International: | Humira |